Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Atheist in me

So far I have mostly posted about being Vegan, but there are several aspects about me that fall outside of my veganism. I actually wrote this a while back and had posted it in another site, but with the Holiday season upon us I am very much reminded that I truly am an Atheist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have called myself an Atheist ever since I could remember, every once in a while I question this point of view, yet I always come back to this being the most fitting description for my personal beliefs.

I can remember back to when I was 7 and having to sit in church (I was raised roman catholic, which is what most people say is the problem) and looking around at everyone with their heads down and eyes closed, wondering to myself what is everyone praying for or to who? I always thought that it was such a waste of time.

I know several people who praise the church and will tell you that god is what gives them the strength to get through life. I just could never relate or understand this idea. How could a place with four walls and an altar provide this kind of inner strength? I always figured you were born with an inner spirituality, a fire within, to give you strength to persevere through life or you weren't.

For the most part I think that people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, get off their ass and make the needed changes in their lives. In my opinion most religions keep their followers uneducated and oppressed by telling them to keep the faith and to pray, rather than telling them to grab the bull by the horns and change their lives for the better.

I could go on and on about this, but bottom line is I don't believe in imaginary friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment